Monday, October 19, 2009

children


Three Wing'd Horses

I have overtired my self
Like an old man pulling wing'd horses by a string,
Lost and ignored, on the side of a street.

It requires much of art, and of diplomacy
To prevent their escape, for the string, it may break
And they take to the sky and fly away from me,
These bothersome beasts, struggling quietly,
Sidling glances, questioningly:
"And what exactly do you think you are up to?” they ask.

And then Pharaoh, in a sob, spoke thus to his men:
“We have come to a city where we’ll leave not a trace,
Not a face will remember we visited this place.”
-And when the stone rolls downhill,
Push it back up again!

Oh those three wing’d horses,
Caused this…
But to stop the tape there and then,
To pause the frame, to step out and observe;
Discuss with esteemed panelists the position
Of a Pharaoh in the face of a Red sea split three ways,
One is forced to confess: “If you just do as I say; if only…
You do as I say; after all, I mean
I know what is best. I have seen our lives
Lived a hundred times. I know. I know all.
I am Rameses, Pharaoh, man who'd be God.
But they resist...
And I am left in the steam puffs from nostrils
Of wing’d beasts that submit not their will;
And they will not submit.”

I feel I have overtired my self, overstretched my ambition.
So now a good night’s sleep for a man,
Who, though his horses are mad,
If he raises his hand, is afraid and confused:
“For after all what is this, who is who?
And am I being hit or am I hitting you?”



The Legacy

The lit match illumined for a bit,
The room where I used to sit when I smoked.
The lit match burnt my fingertip
But it made no lasting impression;
A spark that illumined for a bit.


I used to sit, in the toilet in the dark.
I noticed that an old woman –long since dead-
Sat in the tub with her hands crossed
On her knees, looking at me,
“Has your mother sold my bracelets then?”
Her voice was shrill and echoed in the dark
“They were new and heavy; they were all pure gold;
Perhaps only just a century old; not an age to be sold.”

I remained as I were, quiet, and bit my lip
As the lit match burnt my fingertip
But made no lasting impression.
-I was thinking of other things;
Deliberately trying not to look in the mirror:
Anything but that! To be stared at by my self!
No, I fixed my glance on a spider's dance
I focused on the tap.
I tried to theorize about the dripping of the drops;
One by one as they crashed against the wet tile
I distracted myself, to pass the time, the while...

“Oh don’t be so coy, look at me little boy;
See this white dead hair that I wear on my head?
See the markings of a hundred winters etched?
Long gone? Is that what you say? All gone?”

I could sense her shifting about in the tub
Like a creature or an insect, trying to wriggle out,
Sliding back into the cup from which I drank.
She was there, I could taste her, and I shuddered.
She would crawl up my spine like a slippery lizard.

“This will not end, not like this,” I could sense
She was tired and frail but resolute. Out of the corner
Of my eye I nearly saw the mirror. Panic mounting!
Racing heart, beating drum, a dull continuous thud,
I put my left foot forward and the right itself followed
As I locked the door behind me and slid the key
Under the carpet. I'll never forget...
This was the last time that we met.



Best Before Served

I have this business enterprise
With Allan; who’s my friend and associate.
To accommodate his clientele
Underground.
He says, “The job is mean,
Beneath me, and unclean.”
I say, “It’s fine, I don’t mind,
‘Cause you see I treat people so
The soil don’t get lodged between their teeth:
I wrap ‘em up in long white sheets;
And they all resemble candlesticks;

Fresh flowers next to their tombstones keep
For a day or two…and then, well…
Dogs dig up their dead old bones and dart off.
I chase ‘em, hat in hand, around graves and holes
Puffing, out of breath, with each step;
And they jog away, ears pricked, smiling at my nerve,
Unbothered really…frankly so am I…
The dogs and I, we’re much the same.
Except that I bury what they dig up again.
I read to them the words of etiquette,
The book that says they mustn’t rob the dead
But they tilt their heads and bark at me,
Their eyes don’t seem to follow what I read.

In summer time I moisten dirt, you see,
With my own sweat. And they drink of it.
I scrape the frost when winter settles in,
Inside a grave I have dug, for someone else;
Lying there, staring out at me,
Like a stiff, dead dog,
I find a dog lyin’ stiff, every now and again.

I lie quite still, I lie compulsively:
“Nice meeting you, do come again.”
In my bed, I pretend I am dead, like our clientele.
I live in boxes; everywhere there’s one
Or two. I keep no count (of course I do.)
I mean it’s not easy to be at ease
I never know when to say, “Thank you or Please;
May I; Shall we; I love you; that will be all Mary.”
And there’s a time -with every nine I stitch-
For one more and another; they keep on rolling ‘em in
While the dogs from the windows keep staring in,
Tongues hanging, slobbering over the ledge;
Large, brown, happy dogs, not even black,
-They’ve got no sense of occasion…
And yet so cheeky, or, perhaps, who knows?
My job is not to know. I just do as I’m told.

He says, “Someday you’ll be a client too.”
It’s true! That Allan never lies to you.
He don’t lie, it’s right but then again hey…
Who knows who the customer really is!
Those who pay or those who eat for free?
And they stare and await, being served by me.




The Traffic Jam

On that dog day’s barking end,
Before it trailed into a howl,
With its tail between its legs, and shuffled off into night,
If she, that lady, in her rolled down window
On that colourfully clogged and miserable street,
[With the Lead-Free smoke:
Like a dead town's ghost, hovering over us all
Monitoring patiently our progress
And the masked surgeon's surgery,
As we by-passed an artery into the heart of the city],
Had only felt how it stung;
What her sight meant to me, and how it stung,
Then who would not, from a height, drop himself to his death?
But such a one as has lost all of hope...
Or has yet to fall in love,
And the fragrance of life has not escaped from his breath,
On the wings of a mad probability...
[What if... And if so! Then so on and so forth...]
Like a dream, wherein sense has been muffled by the sound;
Overpowered, overcome, and then drowned,
Defeated in its entirety.
Outside, and from within,
By the din of the traffic

At night, when it all dimmed down
And the noise had receded and proceeded with
The process of licking its wounds, curled up in a corner,
Leaving but a few marks of the scuffle behind;
I thought of my progress thus far:
Triumphed over by a sense of my sin,
A small child -bullied by a lobster-
Clawed-red, ashamed of my own skin.


Children

Tell us what it’s like to stand in between
Two long legs, and to find, from one side, coming down,
Reaching for your hand, another hand, just like yours,
Only bigger, fleshier, moist and warm,
And knowing that at any time letting go of the ground
Only means you would swing by your arm,
For those mighty oaken fingers never slip. Not at all!
Tell us what it’s like to be small,
To believe.
To be young, and never fall in love, but be loved
Feel a feather float on down from a tree up above
Be a bird sitting ruffled, fluffed up in winter
To be naked and yet warm -be bathed by your mom-
To sleep. In spite of it all!
Tell us of 'it all' but never speak -not like us.
Let us guess what it’s like from the colour of your cheeks,
From the smudges on your face and the scratches on your knees,
From the brightness of your eye
And the laughters in your smile,
Playing for a while and eating what you eat…
Filling in the gaps in between missing teeth;
Tell us what you like; tell us why it’s always sweet.
Tell us what is life; what it feels like;
The unshakeable security of looking up
And feeling small,
And looking down, for the best spot to crawl on…
And knowing, for sure, that one day,
You shall be tall
And all will be well.


Mistrust

The Suspicious mind turns fingers sticky, and thinks
Thin thoughts that look like jam but stink like butter
Gone bad; rancid opinions wrap around,
And trap unheeding insects in gleaming webs
Where they are slowly taken down;
Their tough skin peeled and the kernel within,
Laid bare, corrupted, exposed to malignancy
And sunk in unnatural thoughts.

Meanwhile, we the devout,
We in our soft-backed recliners send our prayers out;
Lock them there and make sure the cat-flap is shut tight.
And they scratch at the wood and they cry in the night.
But find no way inside.
"These hearts are closed, we are indisposed."
Once you have fallen prey to the Suspicious mind,
You are a ghost.





9 Comments:

At October 19, 2009 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Duck said...

technically speaking, today is the actual 2 year anniversary of my blog. however, i preferred, at least from my own self-devised literary stand point, the poem i wrote yesterday. which is why i decided it would be the representative poem of these two superbly short and mostly pointless years.

this one, that i wrote just now, i believe is very nice but it doesn't say much about me except that i am worried about the fact that i am supposed to be old but am not. in no real terms can i even pretend to be an adult either in terms of responsibility or independence. in all respects, i believe, and i am sure i am not wrong in this in the least, i am still very much a child.

i've noticed how many commas i use now. i can't seem to write a simple straight sentence. i think writing too many poems, which when i write them, always tend to be a bit cryptic rather than of the sort that serve to yield pleasure, has annoyed my soul into constructing unwieldy meandering sentences that i myself find it hard to follow.

but then again...you mustn't follow me...i am lost too.

bumper sticker wisdom.

 
At October 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Duck said...

plus it offers nothing new, this poem. there is nothing novel, nothing pleasingly innovative or even interesting about it. even i can see how many things i could've said that i didn't say because i'm an idiot.

idiots don't make good poets. mediocrity is a curse.

 
At October 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM , Blogger Duck said...

the second poem is more pleasing to me, at least. but i could not come up with a suitable title for it. i'm not even sure if it's a whole. if it constitutes one thing or more.
but now when i think about it, it suddenly hits me, i should have named it Three Horses. because that is what i saw and what compelled me to write. or Three Wing'd Horses. that would be a good title.

the current title "prolificacy and the fear" forces a singular interpretation which sort of limits, unreasonably, i believe, the amount of random nonsense one can squeeze out of this messy poem. i like to leave things open ended nowadays. so i shall go now and change the title.

for somebody who knows he has no audience, i make a lot of revisions. since even Reluctant has abandoned...or has fallen in love or something.
i suppose he's writing his own poems now.

 
At October 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf i am audience

 
At October 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Duck said...

this one post has turned into a delightful or perhaps mostly morbid blend of characters who express themselves in very interesting ways. or so i believe.

obviously my favourite would be three wing'd horses...for having been so tedious...and possessing only one stanza-thing that has a sort of nice feel to it.

children is too uninteresting
legacy i found to be nicely creepy
for the muse was fun to write
and best before served was well...it didn't do much for me.

but to have written them in a span of three days or so, i feel, i have sort of lost my mind. i have begun to creep my out.

 
At October 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Duck said...

the spell is over. i've realized how dumb all this is.
the shame, she has arrived...
hahahaha.

what a mother huffing waste of time.

 
At October 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Duck said...

i chopped up children down to size hahaha. now the original idea is there and the pseudo pottyian are here...safe...

To be young, and never fall in love, but be loved
Feel a feather floating down from a tree up above
Be a bird sitting ruffled, fluffed up in winter
To be naked and yet warm -be bathed by your mom-
To sleep...in spite of it all.
Tell us of 'it all' but never speak -not like us.
Let us guess what it’s like from the colour of your cheeks,
From the smudges on your face and the scratches on your knees,
From the brightness of your eye
And the laughters in your smile,
Playing for a while and eating what you eat…
Filling in the gaps in between missing teeth;
Tell us what you like; tell us why it’s always sweet.
Tell us what is life; what it feels like;
The unshakeable security of looking up
And feeling small,
And looking down, for the best spot to crawl on…
And knowing, for sure, that one day,
You shall be tall
And all will be well.

 
At October 26, 2009 at 9:08 AM , Blogger Duck said...

rocks were thrown at me for having written this. therefore it has now been hidden.


Come back!
Don't go there little Radhu...stay into the light
Follow the magic text that appears
Before your eyes,
It is I, Mishti Doi,
From the backwaters of your early life
I am still alive, and still in love
Waiting for you to realize
That you feel
All of the above, still alive, still in love

In the fore coming twilight,
Before the shadows stretch and disappear
Look back, turn around!
Before the wind whispers secrets and silently departs
Listen, be aware!
Before the cruel mist separates my thoughts
From your mind, and the sapling we planted,
Runs wild, or dies, or strangles us at night,
Come back…little Radhu…stay into the light

See it struggle as it does, to remain, thus afloat?
Before it settles on the floor,
Clutch it with your fingers and then hold it to you close.
Let it wrap you up in your self,
Forget how others turned away;
For the jackal only hides so to fight another day.
Let them sink! But what of us? What of us all?
Your chunni, if it could, only soak-up rivers dry,
It would save us all from drowning
When the rains refuse to subside
But to fly and float away just to settle on the floor?
What purpose would it serve?
What wrongs would it right?
Come back…little Radhu…stay into the light.

It is I, Mishti Doi, may I never be of harm.
May the basket of the weaver
Never empty, never stare gaping mouth,
Never lose of its charm.
It is I, who now sings, and I ask of you to fight
So come back little Radhu; stay into the light.
You have loved and you lived
So have I been alive
And I sing for you now; later, me you’ll revive.

 
At November 18, 2009 at 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

abandoned? yes. fallen in love? perhaps. but he's no rioting no poe em's for shore. all a mother huffing puffin hookah blowin waste of time? could be. lets wait a while to pass the judgment. me thinks the obscurity is now a permanent affliction. you should masturbate with more passion then feral need. its better for your liver. we will fish. i shall foot the bill. i need to atone for my sins. reluctantly, of course

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home