Monday, June 20, 2011

Nocturne

( i )



They TP’d the city last night,
Like some drunk hooligans;
It looked magnificently tangled
Against the orange-black backdrop of the sky.
I followed one particular end,
In and out of twisted branches
Of all-night salesman. Hope
Wrapped around giant metal posts;
I was careful to tread like a tight-rope walker,
Passing from billboard to billboard;
And there were others I saw,
Stuck in their own Mobius strip.


( ii )

Night slinks from doorstep to doorstep.
Lipstick stained teeth smile
The grin of an old whore.
The stains, the rays, the remnants of days;
The sun will set at seven seventeen
And the bats are already abroad,
Their crescent bordered shawls, fluttering blindly,
Sniffing out scents of stale fruits and fresh blood
In the warm summer stillness.
Will her stout hooker’s spit dissolve this tint
And the darkness…will it be complete?




( iii )

The irrelevant applicant:


The inevitable young man sits perspiring
On a chair that never sits still, not quite.
Eyeing them, his interlocutors,
With the sudden sharpness of a bird,
And, of course, the polished floor
Where his sole has squealed,
And betrayed him, to his mind,
While he, leaden-lung'd, flutter-stomach
Trades rancid spit, for a rotten rank.
Let the interview commence;
Let them question him on the purpleness of shadows,
On the pungency trapped between his teeth,
And the fatuity of this scene.
The sweaty young man with the walrus mustache:
The pliable, pancake, protégée.
His fat old soul smothered in too much coat;
The clammy excrescence of his sad little century.

8 Comments:

At August 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM , Blogger Duck said...

And you and I
are metaphors for so alone.
or like a simile of sorts, perhaps,
or some other poetic device;
a signifier-signified
waiting for the rightest time
to come.
but all my hermeneutic endeavours
fall apart when i see her
i'm deconstructed by her harmony.

all this impractical criticism
post-colonial feminism
to what end an end would seek
when all our boats have sprung a leak
and authors, readers, all, are dead.
i tell myself to leave it all
and read the fucking book instead.

for you and i
are metaphors for so alone.
why waste time on knowing things
better left unknown?

 
At August 26, 2011 at 6:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this would be one of the longest blog post...?

 
At September 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Duck said...

Because indeed Richard A. was dying
And Ram das coming home,
The psychological mountain side
... Rang up his telephone:

"We’re calling you to let you know
To let you go, to let you go.
We’re making room from far away
And you’re no longer in control."

And when Ram das rode in on his bike,
The rhododendrons sang;
The valley filled with life anew
And gushing rivers sprang.

And do I dare sum up then
This miscellaneous event?
Ram das spoke thus to himself:
"And do I dare what I’ve done?"

When Richard met him at the door,
They were then as good as one,
For he was dead upon his feet,
And Ram das had returned.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Duck said...

Join now, we’re losing touch
These visions are for free
It’s all profitable, and diabolical
And so absolutely free

Join now,
She says,
The internet for me.

The alternative is no palliative
It’s too living breathing real
The people are politer here
They click it when they feel

Join now,
She says,
The internet for me.

Revolutionized and satirized
And cauterized and free
Remember that old friend who died?
He’s still online you see.

Join now,
She says,
The internet for me.
We’re going meta, going fast
We’re really moving on
We’re going places, leaving traces
We’re going going gone

Join now,
She used to say,
The internet,
To me.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Duck said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Duck said...

A third song:

I’m a bear witness out here in the woods
Ain't nobody gonna ever even know
Hell I shit out here or I dance the peacock
Ain't nobody here to watch the show

I'm a free bear, witness in the woods
Lookin round at a crime or two

I'm an old lion, main linin' a while
And my heroin's a gettin stale
But I rode the rails an' I done never fail
I gotta spot the trained gazelle

I'm an old lion, main linin the woods
Ain't a bear here watchin me go

I'm a sick soul on the forest floor
They just left me here to lie
And I spoke to the moon in the transition phase
She was just as lonely as I

I'm a sick soul on the forest floor
Ain't a bear here watchin me die

I'm a huntin' sport, tha's what i do
I got my trophies up on the wall
I'm a bag me a lion, an a bear, an a soul
I'm a shoot at the moon till she falls

I'm a hunter man, an' I shoot to kill
All my problems is reasonably solved.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Duck said...

I took a picture once last fall
a two dimensional affair that we had
you had different hair back then
I was not there in the frame
I was nowhere to be seen
but I’m sure I was involved.
I guess it’s ok after all.

and in the background there it is
playing softly as it were
the song that played you out of scene
and that is just as it should be
and it has been
it has been lovely knowing you

The desk is as it was back then
the books have not been rearranged
I couldn’t bring myself to wipe
any old coffee stains you left
but I don’t ever go in there
or maybe that’s just where I live

and in the background there it is
playing softly as it were
the song that played you out of scene
and that is just as it should be
and it has been
it has been lovely knowing you

 
At September 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Duck said...

Her words are alcohol
and I’ve been driving drunk
going round the bends at times
I was not too confident
but her words are alcohol
and she’s a friend.
when the evening turns to night
and the night becomes a strain
when I miss the morning bus
and the fiscal plan’s insane
I go to her and fuck it all
cause her words are alcohol
and she’s a friend.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home